So here’s my list of some reasons to get married:
1. The two people who are marrying are in love.
2. They want to celebrate their love for each other.
3. The couple wants to make a public commitment.
4. The parties want to have a big party.
5. The two people marrying desire that the other partner have inheritance rights for their property without the necessity of a will.
6. The parties want to have children and they want those children to have the benefit of being born to parents who are married to each other.
7. The two parties desire for their union to be “blessed” by their religion or by God.
8. The partners want to get mom or dad (or grandmother or grandfather) to stop nagging them about getting married.
So here is my list, and it has one more reason than my list of reasons NOT to marry.