I responded, “Great idea, since there are many reasons people wouldn’t want to tie the knot.”
She then stated, “But wouldn’t you be suggesting something that would be bad for business?”
“Maybe so,” I said, “but people ought to go into marriage with their eyes open.”
So here’s my list:
1. Lots of marriages end in divorce, which is a process that most people hate. I don’t know if it’s really true that half the marriages end in divorce, but many do. Getting a divorce is emotionally draining. It takes a long time to recover.
2. Marriage is supposed to be “forever.” Most people can’t keep up anything forever.
3. Even with a prenuptial agreement, you may end up paying for a bunch of stuff that you don’t think you should have to.
4. Weddings are expensive.
5. The social norm that required people to get married in order to have children is no longer viable.
6. Married people get a lot less in Social Security benefits upon retirement than two single people.
7. Your spouse’s negative qualities will not grow on you. Quite the opposite, they will annoy you more as time goes on.
I am sure this is an incomplete list, but it’s a start. Anyway, most of us choose to marry despite all the good reasons NOT to. Next time it is my turn to write this blog, I will list all the reasons IN FAVOR of marrying.